Happy New Year! This will be my first build of 2020. It is the Hasegawa 1/48 AH-64D Apache Longbow Attack Helicopter. I will be adding details from the Eduard photo etch cockpit detail set, the Master Model chain gun detail set and using the decals from the IPMS 2010 National Convention. This set covers the AH-64D Apaches from the 1-285 Aviation Battalion of the Arizona Army National Guard. The specific aircraft will from Charlie Company Lobos.
Starting with the cockpit, The Eduard set comes with placards for the display screens for the dash. These were cut out and trimmed to fit. A few photo etch accessories were added to complete the dashes. The control pedals and seats were then added to the cockpit tub. The cockpit tub was then installed into the fuselage along with the engine and base of the rotor assembly.
This weeks’ update on the AH-64D Apache Longbow covers the assembly and details of the fuselage. The landing gear was built and detailed with photo etch. The fuselage had some vents cut out and replaced with photo etch parts. I drilled a hole thru the vent then cut out with a hobby knife and finally shaped with a small file to fit the photo etch piece. The engine exhaust was then assembled and detailed with photo etch. Once assembled the fuselage was base coat painted with the black green color. Have a few more details to add to the fuselage then on to the rotors and chain gun.
For this week on the Apache I have the fuselage detailed and base coat painted. I then built and detailed the tail rotor using photo etch accessories. I then built up the chain gun. The Master Model set replaces the barrel assembly. The original barrel assembly is cut off and replaced. Then the chain gun was assembled. I added some 32 AWG wire to replace the molded wiring on the mount then painted the assembly. Moving forward I then detailed the main rotor assembly with photo etch accessories.
The next section was the nose sensors and cameras. Using close up photos I painted the one section. For the other two section which have a mirror finish, I used bare metal foil and buffed them to a mirror finish. The final step was to paint the seals around the windows. I used International orange and a very fine brush. I then built and detailed the rocket launchers and mounted them. I started on the Hellfire missiles. I am nearing the end of this build. Once the Hellfire missiles are mounted I just have the decals and canopy to detail and put on.