1/48 Gloster Javelin

This build is the Airfix 1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW.9/9R. A few years ago I helped a gentleman who was doing 1/16 and 1/8 scale figures of fallen police officer with creating and scaling the patches and badges for all the uniforms so that decals could be made. I was able to get them scaled for both scales for him. A few weeks later a package arrived and it was this kit. The message inside was from him thanking me for all the work I helped him with on the patches and badges.

Fast forward to present day I decided to make this my next build. The aircraft even in 1/48 is huge. The details of this kit are great. The surface details are very crisp. I will also adding the Eduard photo etch detail set as well. Starting with the cockpit, I assembled and painted the seats then added the numerous photo etch details. The cockpit tub was painted and the photo etch was added. Everything fit very well.  The cockpit tub was then assembled to the forward section of the fuselage. Starting on the engines and main fuselage next.

The build of the Gloster Javelin is moving forward. I assembled the exhaust and then painted/weathered them. The center of the fuselage was then assembled and I started on the landing gear bays. The main bays looked a little too clean so using 32 awg wire and some scratch built plastic and metal pieces to represent the hydraulic cans. I used bare wire for the wiring and black sleeved wire for the hydraulic lines. The bays were then painted with aluminum and weathered with pastel chalk.

See my tips and tricks section on weathering with pastel chalk. Weathering with Pastel Chalk

Finally the wings were assembled and installed to the fuselage. Stay tuned for the building of the landing gear and the detailing of the fuselage.

The Javelin build this week is moving along. With the wings on I assembled the landing gear. The main gear was a little tricky as one of the struts needed to slide under a brace then mount the main strut and attach the other strut. I was able to get them lined up and glued into place. The nose gear and the gear doors all went on with no issues. The various antenna’s, refueling probe, and scoops along with some photo etch details were installed on to the fuselage. Weights were added to the nose cone to keep it from being a tail-dragger. I then painted the base coat on the aircraft. The bottom was painted aluminum and the upper areas were painted with RAF dark green and RAF gray. Getting ready now to apply the numerous decals then onto the canopy.

The Javelin is now complete. This kit was very nice in fit and details. The only thing that was negative was the decals. The decals are very thick. The small ones were not bad but the larger ones on the wings and tail were a huge pain to get them to conform to the surface. Took 3 days and lots of Microsol solvent to get them to finally conform. It took at least 3 applications for them to start to soften. If I were to do this kit again I would most likely look for an aftermarket set of make the larger ones myself.  It was nice that the upper wing decals had cutouts and aligned perfectly. Just wish they were thinner. Overall this kit was nice to build and it presents well. I hope you all have enjoyed following along.

1 thought on “1/48 Gloster Javelin

  1. Christopher Bowling March 21, 2020 — 6:41 pm

    Awesome work my friend. Really enjoyed watching the progress on this build.

    Chris Bowling

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close