1/72 Multi-Aircraft Commissioned Build

As they say, “Now for something completely different”.  Typically, I build 1/48 scale aircraft. This will be a multi-kit build log of 1/72 scale aircraft. A client needs some aircraft to hang up for display. He sent me five aircraft to build for him. As noted before, these are all 1/72 scale. They will all be built mostly out of the box with the wheels up. One will have a different scheme, one will be a conversion, all will have pilots, and all five will be in this one build log.

The aircraft being built and the order in which they will be built are:

1/72 Airfix Spitfire MK 1a – with different scheme decals than what comes with the kit.

1/72 Arifix Spitfire MK 1a – This will be converted to a MK II using 3-D Kits MK II conversion set.

1/72 Eduard MK IXc – This is the Prolifipak version that include photo-etch. Will be adding aftermarket pilot.

1/72 Tamiya P-51D – Will be adding aftermarket pilot.

1/72 Academy F-35A – The paint scheme will be the newer overall dark gray

1/72 Airfix Spitfire MK 1a

Starting off with the cockpit, it was painted with RAF interior green, aluminum seat, and black instrument panel. The instrument panel has the gun sight molded in the gray plastic. I trimmed this off and used a small piece of clear acetate to represent the glass. The panel has a decal for the instruments. The pilot figure has some good details to it except for the seat belts. I cut a thin strip of Tamiya tape and used this to make the seat belts. Once the cockpit was assembled I detailed the cockpit area in the fuselage and installed the cockpit assembly. The propeller was assembled and painted. Getting ready to assemble the fuselage.

1/72 Airfix Spitfire MK 1a – After completing the cockpit I assembled the fuselage. The exhaust from the kit was modified by drilling out the pipes. Since these all are going to be built wheels up, I installed the landing gear up. The underside was then base coated with sky gray. The topside was base coated with RAF dark green and dark earth for the requested scheme. The client included a specific set of decals for the scheme as well. With decals applied and some mild weathering the aircraft was top coated. I polished the canopy and painted the frame then installed it. Right behind the canopy is a red navigation light. I removed the molded in one and replaced it with a clear lens. Finally I used EZ-line for the antenna. This now completes the MK-1a Spitfire! Now starting on the MK-1a Spitfire that will be modified to the MK-II Spitfire using the 3D Kits conversion parts. For now here are the final photos of the MK-1a.

1/72 Airfix Spitfire MK II – This week I started work on the second Spitfire. This is the same kit as the MK-1a with the addition of the 3D kits conversion parts. The difference that the conversion kit changes is the pilot seat, a bulge on the starboard side nose and the propeller and hub. I installed the seat and realized the seat is a little narrower than the kit seat. The kit pilot figure is too wide to fit in the seat. I have some PJ Productions resin pilot figures so I used one of the RAF figures instead. I looked online and noticed the instrument panel is slightly different on the MK-II as well. So instead of using the kit decal I found a photo of a real MK-II panel and made a decal out of it. The pilot fit perfectly. The interior of the fuselage was detailed and the cockpit tub installed. Working on getting the fuselage and wings assembled.

 

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close